Shopping locally for holiday gifts will be front and center with the second annual Shop Til You Drop: Holiday Open House in downtown Harrisonburg on Saturday, December 8, from 5:00 to 9:00 pm. With 26 participating businesses, customers can kick-start their holiday shopping with extended store hours, special promotions, art exhibits, holiday food and drinks, gift wrapping, and plenty of festive cheer.
The event was founded in 2011 by Anna Melton Pelletier of Mint and expanded this year in partnership with Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and the Merchants of Historic Downtown Harrisonburg. Modeled after the success of First Fridays Downtown, locations will offer a chance to mingle in the downtown community and make holiday shopping a celebration rather than a stressful occasion.
The 26 participating businesses and their special promotions are:
- All Things Virginia: Complimentary coffee while you shop
- Artisans Downtown Gallery + Gifts: 15% off purchase
- A Touch of the Earth: 25% off everything in the store
- Downtown Wine & Gourmet: Free beer and wine tasting from 1-9 pm
- Dragonflies Toys: 20-50% off select items. Enjoy beverages and chocolates while you shop.
- Duo: Receive a discount with a donation of canned food to support the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank: receive 2% off purchase for each non-perishable item brought in, up to 20% off (i.e. bring in 10 cans of food and receive 20% off purchase). Enjoy cookies and beverages while you shop.
- Friendly City Food Co-op: $5 off of “Local Love” Gift Boxes (local coffee, honey, marmalade, etc.), 10% off all wellness products (lotions, soaps, lip balms, massage oils, etc.), and “Local Love” tote bags only $4.99 each.
- Glen’s Fair Price Store
- James McHone Jewelry
- The Lady Jane: Buy one/get one 50% off for all holiday decorations & vintage dishes, 40% off all framed art, and 25% off all journals, stationary, and books.
- Larkin Arts: 10% off everything in the store and 25% off hundreds of red tag items. First Art Market, with 15 local artists selling their arts and crafts. Featured gallery exhibits by Jon McMillan and Morgan Fink.
- Laughing Dog T-Shirts & Gifts: Annual Sterling Silver Jewelry Show to coincide with Shop Til You Drop, with large selection of sterling silver pendants, chains, earrings, bracelets, rings, cuffs, pins, etc. Show opens at 10 am on Saturday, December 8th and extends through Shop Til You Drop.
- Midtowne Market: 10% off select beers
- Mint: Drinks, snacks, art, and specials on jewelry and gifts
- OASIS Fine Art & Craft: 25% off fused glass jewelry by Sally Ridgway and Karen Ryder Lee, 25% off original paintings by Sibyl Mackenzie, free note card with any Different Light Studio purchase, free Hot Flash Pottery ornament with any Hot Flash Pottery OR d’vine basket by brenda
- Over the Moon: drawing for an Ergo baby carrier, giveaways for purchases over $50, and cupcakes and cider. Come early for Grand Opening celebrations all day (starting at 11 am) and free chair massages by Becky Bartells from 12-3 pm!
- Polished, Inc.: Featured art exhibit by Denise Kanter Allen, 20% off select items, and enjoy beverages and a cheese tray while you shop.
- Ragtime Fabrics: Gift packages with every machine purchase, “Make-It, Take-It” projects, and refreshments.
- RubyRed Shoe Boutique: 20% off select holiday shoes, buy one/get one 50% off select accessories, and refreshments.
- Shenandoah Bicycle Company/PULP: 20% off any SBC or PULP logo items (cycling jerseys and shorts, hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, cups, mugs, pint glasses, etc.). And host location for free holiday gift wrapping!
- Stonewall Jackson Inn and B&B: 25% off everything in Gift Shop, custom-made/ personalized midweek Christmas Gift Certificates (e.g. Pay $150 for a $200 gift cert.), autographed VIRGINIA BED & BREAKFAST COOKBOOKS (contains five signature recipes by Stonewall Jackson), Deneen handmade/thrown “Collectors” Stonewall Jackson 12-oz. coffee mugs, and Stonewall Jackson t-shirts (black and ash colors). For any purchase of $30 or more, receive a “Hospitality Pass” for a complimentary dessert with dinner at the Local Chop & Grill House or Clementine.
- Ten Thousand Villages: 25% off all holiday merchandise free “Do Downtown” tote bag with every purchase of $100 or more, and refreshments. Ask about the Customer Appreciation Card.
- Wine on Water: Featuring mulled wine
- Yarn Mountain: 20% off entire purchase, incl. specialty yarns, ready-made hand-knit gifts, and gift baskets
- The Yellow Button: 15% off all full-priced items
- You Made It!: Make three fused glass ornaments for $25 (reg. $10/ornament), purchase $25 gift certificates for only $20 each, 50% off in-stock handmade fused glass pendants and earrings, and refreshments
After making their Shop Til You Drop purchases, customers can enjoy holiday gift wrapping from 5-9 pm. Provided by RISE and hosted by Shenandoah Bicycle Company at 135 South Main Street, holiday gift wrapping is free, though donations to RISE are welcome. Customers can bring in any purchases made at a participating location during Shop Til You Drop with their receipt (dated during the event) to enjoy this holiday special.
From 5-9 pm, customers can also bring their Shop Til You Drop receipts from participating locations (dated during the event) to enjoy special promotions from the following downtown dining locations:
- Blue Nile: 10% off meal purchase
- Stonewall Jackson Inn and B&B: Complimentary cup of Stonewall Jackson Columbian Coffee and a forget-me-not autographed fridge magnet.
Shop Til You Drop: Holiday Open House will provide the community with a festive opportunity to shop locally downtown for the holidays. Event cards with a map of participating locations are available in businesses throughout downtown and on the Shop Til You Drop webpage.
For more information, please visit www.downtownharrisonburg.org/shoptilyoudrop.
Nicole Martorana is the Editor of the Do Downtown blog and the Promotions Manager for Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance.