It is truly amazing what can be achieved when a group of people come together with a shared purpose to create something better than what originally existed. At Celebration & Reception last Monday, February 25th at Clementine, members of the Harrisonburg community came together to celebrate a transformation that has been slowly evolving and awakening the downtown area over the past 10 years. Guests were able to toast to another year of downtown’s successes, hear exciting plans for the future, and enjoy complimentary refreshments. Awards were presented for Design Excellence, Partner of the Year, and Volunteer of the Year. This event also kicked off our annual Friends of Downtown membership program.
Clementine provided the menu – bruschetta, sandwiches, and cheese, fruit, and veggie platters.
HDR’s Design Committee determines Design Excellence Award winners through careful consideration of those projects that have made a significant contribution to the preservation and beautification of the downtown district. Four categories were identified and winners were selected from a pool of 31 projects:
- Design Excellence Award for Outdoor Innovation: Ruby’s Lounge & Patio
- Design Excellence Award for Creative Renovation: Larkin Arts
- Design Excellence Award for Façade Enhancement: Quick Source Learning
- Design Excellence Award for Public Improvements: Harrisonburg City Public Schools
- Design Excellence Award – Honorable Mention: Capital Ale House
- Design Excellence Award – Honorable Mention: MODdisplays
HDR also recognized the collaborative efforts and incredible dedication of its volunteer and partner organizations through the Volunteer of the Year and Partner of the Year Awards:
- Partner of the Year Award: City of Harrisonburg
- Volunteer of the Year Award: Current and Former HDR Board Members
Overall, the event truly was a celebration of revival for the downtown Harrisonburg community. We can’t wait to see what the next 10 years will bring!
Shannon Essad is HDR’s first Social Media Intern for Fall 2012-Spring 2013 and a senior Communication major with a concentration in Organizational Communication at James Madison University.