Nothing says Americana like a hometown Fourth of July celebration where thousands of family, friends, and visitors come together to share good food and fun. In its twelfth year, Valley Fourth has become a signature event for HDR. It has progressed from an afternoon festival in Court Square to a full-day celebration throughout downtown that draws more than 10,000 people.
2013 was the largest and most successful Valley Fourth festival yet and the photos tell the story best. Here’s a glimpse at the numbers:
- 700+ people participated in the Valley Fourth RUN and donated $5,250 to 4 local charities.
- 8 teams competed in the first-ever Grillin’ at the Pavilion BBQ Cook-off for more than $2,000 in cash and prizes.
- The Explore More Discovery Museum welcomed 1,235 visitors to the museum from 3-6 pm.
- The Kids’ Zone was popular with hundreds of children who got their faces painted, pictures taken with the Duke Dog, and more.
- Beers n’ Cheers in the Park featured 2 stellar bands (Hackensaw Boys & Love Canon) and 12 selections of VA craft beer (including The Great Outdoors from Three Brothers Brewing) and Bluestone Vineyards.
- The parade and fireworks finale remained the two most attended events of the day with thousands of spectators.
HDR and the Valley Fourth planning committee look forward to continuing to grow the festival into a celebration that pays homage to our community and a formative time in American history.
We’re not ready to give away our plans for next year, but here’s a sneak peek: food eating contests, potato sack races, corn-on-the-cob, and a bevy of red, white and blue!
Special thanks to our sponsors, the Valley Fourth planning committee, and all of the hard-working volunteers who made Valley Fourth a huge success. This event would not be possible without you!
Valley Fourth was proudly presented by:
City of Harrisonburg
Alexiou Hearing & Sinus Center & the Drs. Michael & Jerri Alexiou
The Rockingham Group
Harrisonburg Electric Commission
James McHone Jewelry
VA Eagle Distributing
Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport
Clark & Bradshaw
Explore More Discovery Museum
Comfort Inn Harrisonburg
Arts Council of the Valley
Court Square Theater
Dodging Bullets Media
Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine
Mr. George Pace
Capital Ale House
LD&B Insurance & Financial Services
The Sole Source
Guest column by Kim Kirk, Special Events Manager for Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance.