Q: What projects are under consideration or in process that will have a significant and positive impact on downtown?
A: As we look back over the past 10 years of downtown revitalization, many completed public and private projects have benefited downtown. A few examples include: increased housing options, new restaurants and retail shops, attractions and museums, way-finding signs, and the first phase of streetscape improvements. Looking forward there are several proposed projects that have the potential to be major game changers for not only downtown, but our entire community.
- Hotel and conference center
- Urban park with expanded farmers market
- New municipal building
- Connection of Northend Greenway and Blue Stone Trail
- Next phase of streetscape project
- Renovation of Thomas Harrison House
- Ice House project
- Former livery building renovation
- West Bruce Street buildings renovation
There is reason to be optimistic that most or all of these projects will be implemented over the next year or so. Individually and collectively they have the potential to create synergy between JMU and downtown, and to economically and culturally transform our downtown into an even more vibrant and cool place to work, live, and play.
Eddie Bumbaugh is the Executive Director for Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance.